Wednesday, 1 May 2013

lessons learnt

I had a friend last year, she's still my friend, but she joined school last year and left, too, last year. She was pretty quiet in her first few days at school, sitting alone in class until my friends and I asked her to join us at lunch. She wasn't shy, she knew what to say, when to say it. She listened to the teachers, but also had her share of fun in class, all up in her head. Lost deep in her thoughts.
I knew for a fact that she was depressed. I'd talked to her enough, I was closest, at the time, to her out of all our friends. Closest in the sense that she would open up to me. And, anyway, I know a lot about depression and what it does to people, I can recognize a depressed person when I see one.
I have this part of me that's just sat waiting for somebody to approach her, somebody to ask for help, somebody to ask for her to be a friend. I want to be somebody that listens and cares, and a true friend even if others aren't the same to me. I figure everybody needs a friend at some point, and I want to be that friend. 
So, because of this part of me who was thrilled to see somebody so different, somebody so real, I listened to her vigilantly; making all her problems mine. 
And without knowing it, she became a part of me. I loved her so much. I wanted to everything about her.
And then, one day, she left. She moved back to where she came from and we still talk and stuff, but the things she told me, the way she talked, the way she cried, the way she sang, and wanted just to spread peace in the world - they all stuck. They made me a different person.
Sometimes, people come along who your soul just clings onto. You don't know why, and you don't know how it happens, but they become an essential part of our lives. You have a connection with them that nobody understands, and that's what makes it perfect.
And these people, they teach you so much about life. 
People are beautiful in what they've been through and in the way they choose to express it. 
I'll never forget her. She made me more sure of who I am than anybody ever has, and I love her so much for that.

No comments: